This is a recipe I had never given out until I wrote my cookbook. It was my grandmother’s recipe from Russia. My mother gave it to me and she made it all winter long. I make it for a Christmas treat and put it in small loaf pans.
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- 1/2 cup shortening melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon each of cinnamon, nutmed, cloves, and allspice
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup dates
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup walnuts
- enough milk for a thick batter
- combine and cream the first 3 ingredients
- In a separate bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients.
- Add the flour, a little at a time, to the creamed ingredients. Alternate this with a little milk so the batter doesn’t become too thick.
- Add raisins, dates, and nuts.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes
You can substitute the shortening in this recipe with canola oil for a healthier recipe.